November 2, 2011
1. Today was the third session of the Writers Club. Seven of eight students were present and five of the seven came prepared with their Writers Club Notebooks. Two students have materials which need to be added to their notebooks this week.
We were still working when the next class arrived at the Computer Lab, so the students did not have time to write down what we worked on and what their homework is for next week.
2. Today's activities:
· Discussed the pre-writing web for letter writing
· Started the draft of letter to SFC Shane Dickey
· Worked on sentence expansion words
· Previewed a block style format for letter writing
· Reviewed selecting key words and writing a topic sentence
3. Homework: (Due Wednesday, November 9, 2011)
Be able to correctly write full name and address.
4. Please be sure to talk with your student about sentence expanders and how they can be used to make short sentences longer!
Today was the second meeting of the Writers Club. Every student came prepared with their notebooks , although a few were missing parent initials. Parents, please be sure to initial the notebook so that I know you have seen what your student is working on.
Today we reviewed key words and prompts and practiced creating topic sentences. We worked on an 11 sentence format which includes a topic sentence, 3 supporting sentences, 6 detail sentences and a concluding sentence.
We also began work on a web for a letter we will write next week to a soldier in Afghanistan. Next week we will discuss what we might send in a care package to "our" solder.
This week's homework for Writer's Club is to finish the web for the letter we are going to write next Wednesday (11/2).
Today was the first meeting of the Writers Club for the 2011 – 2012 school year. 7 of the 8 members were present and what a great group they are. They worked very hard during the entire hour and we accomplished a huge amount of work.
We began work on our “Writers Club Notebooks.” I hope you will take the time to look at your child’s notebook and have them explain what we talked about today.
You might ask these questions . . .
Who scores the 5th Grade Writing SOL tests?
Why did we look at a map of Afghanistan?
What is your homework for October 26?
Parents, please initial your child’s notebook after you have taken a look. Please remind them to complete their homework (you can assist) and bring their notebook back to our next session on October 26, 2011.
If you have any questions, please always feel free to email me
You will find the Writers Club webpage here:
For Students>Writers Club – 5th Grade